- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk room temperature
Lemon Glaze (optional):
- 1/2 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350℉ (175°C) .
Grease and flour (or use non-stick spray) a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in lemon zest. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl (of stand mixer) beat butter on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.
Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for another 2-3 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time. Make sure you scrape the bottom of your bowl.
Add lemon juice (the batter will curdle).
Alternate addition of flour and milk (in 2 additions). Mix on low speed until combined. Do not over mix.
If using add-ins, combine gently at this point.
Bake in preheated oven for 60-75 minutes until golden and cake tester comes out clean.
Transfer pan to a rack where it can cool down for about 10 minutes before removing loaf to cool down completely on a wire rack.
Tips, Tricks and Recipe Notes:
- Ensure oven is preheated to the right temperature.
- Take out the milk, eggs and butter 30-60 minutes before starting.
- Cream the softened butter, then slowly add the sugar until light and fluffy.This step takes at least 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and properly beat after each addition. Be sure to scrape down the bowl during this process.
- Reduce the speed to low when adding the flour and milk. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Lemon zest is an ingredient in this recipe. This is the bright yellow outer layer of the lemon peel. Use a micro-plane or a box grater for grating. Make sure you only grate the yellow part as the white pith is extremely bitter.
- Make this lemon dessert your own by adding slivered almonds (½ cup) or poppy seeds (2 tablespoons).